James Stone arrived in Brisbane in 1857 and acquired land in 1875 at the corner of Logan and Old Cleveland Roads. His intention was to establish a hotel but he was never granted a licence so he only sold ginger beer. A hotel was later built on the site. The area was subsequently known as Stones Corner.
James Stone's grave in Balmoral Cemetery has recently been beautifuly restored by his descendants.